Saturday, June 13, 2009

Holla from Houston!

Hey y'all! I'm so glad this got started (you're a rockstar Jenna!) and I totally believe the Jillian bugging you part! I was actually just going to send out an email to everyone today, but this is so much better. So it's Saturday morning of my first real weekend in 2 weeks. I've been traveling/getting up at 5:30/going to classes since last Tuesday. Thus, it's actually hitting me how far away from home I am. But, it's been a good, busy ride so far. I caravaned down with some people from the Northeast and luckily we've all become pretty close. It's nice to have a steady group of people to come "home" to at night (they definitely don't match up to the reflection and healing power of you guys though.
Institute in Houston is pretty tough. I have about 5 courses a day and start teaching on Monday. I'm teaching 6th grade world History and Geography to a class of 15. I'm pretty excited because we're starting off with 2 weeks on the Aztecs, Mayans and conquistadors, so most of my time can be spent on figuring out how i'm going to teach it instead of the content. On Monday, and every day following for the next 4 weeks, I'm going to teach for an 80 minute block, have 3 classes a day, and bus duty. Doing the reading and stuff kind of got me ready, but talking to some of the teachers here, it's pretty obvious why there's this huge achievement gap in our nation's schools. (and I'm not just saying that because they've been brainwashing us!)

Anyway, my quick stay in Mississippi was good, it's incredibly flat and wet and at somepoint I'll get some pictures. I don't know my placement for the year yet, but it will be somewhere in Mississippi and not Arkansas. Enjoy your weekend and I hope to be hearing from y'all soon. (oh and by the way, i started picking up an accent while in Mississippi, but it's gone now)

No comments:

Post a Comment